Thursday, July 17, 2014

pink hydrangea drawing

I signed up for Mary Ann Moss's Sketchbookery class, in the wild hopes of learning to sketch and watercolor just well enough to satisfy my own fairly low expectations. Unfortunately, I'm not really patient enough to go thru the drill of many blind contour drawings, many more semi-blind contour drawings, etc, etc.

I just wanna be able to draw. Now.

But that's not how it works. That's not how any of this works.    (how I love that commercial)

But I forged ahead and last night sat down with a will and a purpose - to draw and paint something recognizable. I went slowly (sooo difficult) and drew what I saw, not what I thought I saw.

Then I painted it, again going slowly and really looking at my subject, changing my paint colors little by little as I layered.

And a crazy thing happened. I drew and painted something I'm happy with.

Behold.

It's not a Monet but it's way the hell better than anything I've done before.

So thanks, Mary Ann! I may end up being able to sketch after this class.

9 comments:

  1. It's lovely!
    Good on you for your patience. I feel the same way about the blind contour, long process, I want it NOW, etc., but the slower I go, the better I get. And in the end it's worth it. There's no better feeling than making something you're pleased with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how cool! Didn't know you were taking MA's class. I love your little drawing/painting! Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not Monet because it's you...and it's lovely!! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for you! It's charming and totally recognizable! I want to do that too. But like you, I don't have the patience to practice, practice, practice. I read an exercise somewhere that suggested drawing the same thing every day for 30 days - from different angles, etc. I might get 2 or 3 done before being so "over" it.... And so I admire your effort even more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo...at least you tried. You sketch is lovely and as time goes on it does get easier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's really very sweet.....I love it....the more you sketch you will see the easier it will become....my art instructor years ago said to carry a sketch book with you at all times...and that's what I try to do.........enjoy your sketching........

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really good drawing! I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out great! You are much better than you give yourself credit for being Leslie! Keep at it and who knows what wonders might happen!

    ReplyDelete