Tuesday, November 1, 2011

ROD journal #1

I signed up for Mary Ann Moore's 2nd class - Full Tilt Boogie - a few months ago and it was pretty cool, so I signed up for her first one - Remains of the Day - a couple weeks ago. Equally cool. This one has a cloth cover and since I have tons of upholstery fabrics and laces and doilies, I had a really good time working on it. The pages are sewn together using the remains of your day, or whatever you feel like incorporating. I used practically everything I had in the studio - scrapbook paper, old envelopes, ledger pages, paper bags, lace, old photos, pre-cut frames, part of a small folded book I made as a sample - all sorts of stuff.

This journal falls right into my liking of variety - I love a deli where you can have a little bit of a whole bunch of things, I like scrap quilts because of all the fabrics, I like thrift stores cause there's some of everything. So what some might look at and see a total hodge-podge of stuff, I am fascinated by the endless new bits to see every time I flip thru it. I haven't journaled in it yet. I might make it my Australia journal, long after the fact since we were there in 2005, but I have lots of pics and notes, so I'll be able to make a cool memory book of the trip.

Anyway, here are a bunch of pics. It has a total of 48 pages but I'm only making you look at the more interesting ones for now. If you think it's cool, I strongly encourage you to go sign up for her class. It's well worth the money.
back cover
front cover tied
front cover without tie




inside cover and 1st page






13 comments:

  1. OMG, Leslie , this is beautiful. I too love all the variety. I bet you forgot you had so many cool scraps. And you just sew them on your machine? Keep it up , girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I DO think this is cool! Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous. If only me and my sewing machine were on better terms (and I could sew)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really neat Leslie - I'll have to check it out as I have "boxes" (literally) of scraps that could get put to good use! J

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is absolutely gorgeous. I love all the trims and bits you put on the pages. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful ROD! I am planning to get started on mine in December, and I'm inspired by your work here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Layers of yumminess......thank you so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. positively STUNNING leslie. what wonderful work (play) you've done here.
    i'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This I LIKE!! Gorgeous. It's your wonderful stash of goodies to use.
    Very very nice. You did an awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful cover and pages. I love how it's filled with rich textures, and a beautiful mix of shadowed colors throughout.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely! Love the lace included on pages!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful book! It is as though you went through a few of my drawers and pulled out the best of my stash to make this. I love how ROD brings out the similarities among us and connects us in ways we weren't expecting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The look is fantastic, the muted colors sublime. Your book will be all the more wonderful after you journal in it. Pull out the photographs and ephemera and start writing. You will be amazed at all the memories that come forth.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just signed up for the class and have started looking at the video- love your journal- you've inspired me to get going on my first ROD journal- love your papers and cover fabrics!

    ReplyDelete