I've been following this blog for a while now but rarely get around to doing the prompt before the week is over and the next one is up! So... this morning when I saw the theme, I immediately got to work.
I have several issues of Mechanics Illustrated and Popular Mechanics from the 40s, so I grabbed the December 1944 issue (15 cents cover price!) and flipped thru the brittle old pages until I found several airplane related articles, then began tearing out images and word strips. (The strip 'see the brave fellow' came from an old book.)
The background is very textured which you might be able to see if you click on the first pic which I scanned at 600dpi. I put down a layer of gesso, a used dryer sheet that I'd been wanting to do something with, more gesso, then sprayed and dripped on various inks - tan, green, turquoise - until I had a background I liked.
The dryer sheet wicks the inks in an interesting manner and I will be saving my dryer sheets from now on for future backgrounds and no telling what else. I'm prolly late to the dryer sheet party but I'm here now!
Feel free to download and use the first image if you like.