Thursday, September 18, 2014

wild kingdom

The back lot at work has been busy lately. We've always had feral cats slinking around and I've fed the ones who are visible enough for me to get to know them a little. When I spotted a mama and her 3 kittens, I started putting crunchies and water out for her. This was in July - it was pretty hot and there isn't a ready source of fresh water around. She had been someone's pet at some point because it wasn't long before she let me scruff her cheek with my fingers. The kittens are a bit wilder but I managed to pick one up the other day. He looked dumbfounded for about 5 seconds, then struggled to get down but not frantically.

I trapped mama and got her fixed a couple weeks ago and will do the same with all the kittens soon. But meanwhile, 4 baby opossums showed up on Tuesday. Turns out their mom was dead in the street, but so far they're hanging around eating cat food, so maybe they'll make it.
Mama cat - check. Kittens - check. Opossum - WHAT?!
This shot is right after I walked back around the from side
and saw the opossum for the first time. My mouth fell open and my eyes got round,
just like in the cartoons. Look how little he is.
They have such funny little pink toes. I was squatting down about 4 feet away,
holding real still, and he finally got brave enough to come back out to the food.
This kitten is gorgeous. It's the one I picked up and if I was gonna snatch one
and bring it home, it would be this one. But I'm not. No, I'm not.
Don't need another cat and Mabel would just pack her bags
and move right on out if I brought a sassy little kitten home.


7 comments:

  1. You are having so much fun with your parking lot menagerie! And no I am not going to take home another cat! Or an opossum! But they are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would never get any work done if this was going on anywhere near me.
    So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how sweet! I love possums. Thanks for doing the trap, neuter, release thing for the ferals. Hope the possum babies make it. Maybe mama kitty will taken 'em in. Stranger things have happened in the animal kingdom. Thanks for your stamphead postcard, I love it. My "confusion" card in the mail to you. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet, and how good of you to take care of the fixing of them! Very kind.

    ReplyDelete