Sunday, September 15, 2013

MMAJRR - Paula's journal

MMAJRR is mixed media art journal round robin. Our first round is complete and we'll be mailing our journals off to the next person tomorrow. I worked in Paula's journal and her theme was a walk in the woods, which I liked a lot. Her journal is 5" tall and 16" wide when open so I'm showing each side of the spread separately.

LEFT PAGE OF SPREAD

RIGHT PAGE OF SPREAD

For this spread, I worked a lot of acrylic paint into the background, rubbing it around with baby wipes, adding yellows and oranges until I had a good base, then a bit of turquoise here and there. In person it's very smooth and has a bit of a gleam, like polished leather. Very pretty. Tore some images from my 1966 Reader's Digest Complete Book of the Garden. Used gel medium to put them down, then did a bit of coloring with Copic markers. Added various styles of lettering with Pitt Artist pens.

LEFT PAGE OF SPREAD














RIGHT PAGE OF SPREAD
















The background for this one is watercolor, wet-into-wet stripes across the spread, then sprayed with water so it would run. The trees are sepia ink, dribbled along the bottom edge of the page and then blown with a straw up and out to form the branches. I'd sort of forgotten about this technique and don't remember why I thought of it but after practicing on a scrap page, I did it in Paula's journal and was happy with the results. I also wrote the haiku:

stark against the sky
trees stand bare and black
winter is coming...

I'd forgotten how much fun round robins are. Can't wait to see what the theme of the next journal is!

4 comments:

  1. Love those cones! xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy - this one's headed my way and I'm eager to do something in a different format...this is so much fun! Your pages are delightful...

    ReplyDelete