Monday, February 18, 2013

Letter Love 201 - lettering as art

After seeing my mail art friend Jewels' post on Joanne Sharpe's lettering class, I watched the promo vid, then signed up. 

I suspect my art friend Rhonda is going to be right on my heels at the ticket booth cause she watched the vid yesterday while here playing in the studio. 

Jewels, you should ask for a commission...

Watched the first lesson and made my 'cover', altho it's just  a page in my 9x12 Canson all-media journal. The big black letters were done with a Coptic marker and didn't bleed thru the 90lb paper. Yay.

I blew some of the paint puddles around with a straw but for the heck of it.

The bad part about working this large is that the blasted thing doesn't fit on my scanner bed so the bottom got whacked off in the top shot, but the colors are most true there. The other pics were taken at my work desk with my Canon SD1400. 


Love the places where the watercolors feather into each other. 

And I like the class so far, even after just one lesson. She's not preachy or goofy or any of the other things that sometimes annoy me about video classes.

I'm happy with this page and hope that the rest of them come out as well.





2 comments:

  1. Wow nice Leslie! Yep I signed up for it and just got my confirmation in my email a bit ago so I am a few steps behind you... now to go dig in my blank journal stash and come up with a nice sized journal to use -- not sure I have any large or chisel pens either, will have to go on a treasure hunt through my stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yayee - I wish I had more time to concentrate on this but I have watched all the videos so far and just loving some of the ideas she shares. Look forward to seeing what else you come up with!

    ReplyDelete